2011/12 de Souza Scholarship and Fellowship Recipients
Wednesday, December 14th, 2011
With support from the Nursing Secretariat at the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, de Souza Institute continues to assist Ontario Registered Nurses in pursuing their career development in oncology and palliative care
We are pleased to announce the following nurses who will receive the 2011/12 de Souza Scholarship.
- Jacqueline Galica, Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto
- Janet Giroux, Kingston General Hospital, University of Toronto
- Shannon Farley, Credit Valley Hospital, University of Toronto
- Noorza Moledina, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa.
They are joining 49 existing de Souza scholarship recipients. Since 2009, a total of 53 nurses in Ontario have received de Souza scholarship towards their graduate studies in the field of oncology and/or palliative care.
We are very pleased to announce the following nurses who will receive the first two de Souza Clinical Fellowships towards a de Souza Nurse Designation
de Souza Nurse Clinical Fellowship:
- Carol Gunsch from Grand River Hospital is the first recipient of the de Souza Nurse clinical fellowship. Carol is a nurse navigator for colorectal cancer. She is a CNA certified oncology nurse and has obtained 4.0 de Souza course credits covering four core domains of practice in oncology nursing. Carol plans to spend her 75 hours of clinical fellowship in the chemotherapy suite at the Grand River Hospital.
de Souza APN Clinical Fellowship:
- Channie Mak from the Rouge Valley Health System is the first recipient of the de Souza APN Clinical Fellowship. She is CNA certified in both hospice palliative care and oncology. She has completed 4.5 de Souza course credits covering four core domains of practice in oncology nursing. Channie plans to carry out her 150 hours of clinical fellowship in a cancer program at a community hospital in a NP role.
Congratulations to all our award recipients. We would also like to thank all applicants for their excellent letters of intent and their continued interest in de Souza programs. We will continue to support nurses to provide the best cancer care in the world to the residents of Ontario.