Request for Accommodation Policy
de Souza Institute Student Support: Requesting Accommodation
The de Souza Institute supports learners through accommodation when necessary, to maximize opportunities for success.
“Accommodation” is understood to be any adjustment made to the course that minimizes the impact of a physical or mental challenge/disability that impedes the student’s ability to learn or to write an examination. The de Souza Institute accommodation for courses/exams/tests takes the form of either extra allotted time or other necessary accommodations.
Qualifying for Accommodation
- The de Souza Institute models this policy after the College of Nurses of Ontario process for requesting accommodation. “A request for accommodation must be based on a professionally recognized diagnosis of a disability, impairment, condition or disorder (or any other ground listed in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms or the Ontario Human Rights Code). (CNO 2021)
- Evidence of how your condition/disability/disorder would interfere with your ability to take a course or write an exam and how accommodation would mitigate that challenge must be provided
- The condition/disability/disorder must be something that is current (i.e. not previously resolved)
- The integrity of the course or examination must remain intact in light of the requested accommodation
- A request for accommodation package (includes both forms detailed below and any other relevant information you wish to include) must be received no later than 2 weeks prior to the course start time or examination date
- Complete the Request for Accommodation Form
- Have your health care provider complete and submit the Request for Accommodation Health Care Provider Form. Supporting information must be submitted directly from the health care provider to The de Souza Institute by fax: +1 (855) 712-0826 or by email at email@example.com
de Souza Staff
- Requests for accommodation packages will be reviewed within 2 business days after receipt of both the Request for Examination Accommodation Form and the Request for Accommodation Health Care Provider Form.
- Feedback and any relevant instructions/information related to the request will be sent to the student by email no later than 5 business days after receipt of both the Request for Examination Accommodation Form and the Request for Accommodation Health Care Provider Form.
College of Nurses of Ontario (2021). Requestion Accommodation. Available online at: