Community-based Chemotherapy and Biotherapy
On October 18, 2017, de Souza Institute, in partnership with Cancer Care Ontario will be launching a new online course: Community-based Chemotherapy and Biotherapy.
This online course provides an overview of chemotherapy and biotherapy for health care professionals who work in the community setting. The content covers classifications and agents, routes of administration, adverse effects, administration complications, and safe handling practice standards, and highlights their implication for community care.
Please Note: The Community-based Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course is DIFFERENT than the Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course
By the end of this 10 learning hour online course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the role of the chemotherapy and biotherapy in cancer care
- Identify commonly used chemotherapy and biotherapy agents, indications, mechanism of action administration recommendations, and side effects.
- Describe the difference between extravasation from an irritation and flare reaction
- Explain how to assess extravasation and take appropriate action
- Describe safe handling issues for chemotherapy and biotherapy, including safe administration practices, management of bodily wastes and spill management.