Ontario Renal Network – Vascular Access Education Program
Ontario Renal Network (ORN) has made it a priority to ensure that patients with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) receive safe and high quality dialysis access.
Ontario Renal Network is pleased to partner with De Souza Institute to provide high quality education that is both comprehensive and consistent in delivering safe care. The Vascular Access Education Program (VAEP) will be available to dialysis nurses and others who cannulate in CKD programs across Ontario.
After completing the course, the participants will learn to:
- Explain the guidelines for vascular access and describe the rationale for these guidelines
- Describe the types of arteriovenous fistulae, and identify access sites, complications and management of arteriovenous fistulae
- Describe the types and use of arteriovenous grafts, and identify surgical procedures, complications and management of arteriovenous grafts
- Describe the rope ladder and buttonhole cannulation techniques including pre-cannulation assessment for both techniques
- Describe the types of central hemodialysis catheters and identify indications, placement sites, complications and management of central hemodialysis catheters
For more details and to register online, visit our course calendar