Happy New Year’s 2018
Now beginning our 10th year, de Souza Institute is a well-established leader in providing continuing education resources to health care professionals who support patients and families along the cancer care continuum.
In 2017 de Souza Institute achieved a number of accomplishments:
- New record for number of enrollments, over 3300, representing a 33% increase from 2016
- Launched the Interprofessional Education in Palliative and End of Life Care – Oncology (iEPECO) course in January
- Introduced the Cancer Care Basics course in May
- Piloted and opened the Patient Teaching for Oral Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course in September
- Released the Community-Based Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course in October
- Expanded our reach across Canada with participants and partnerships in Alberta, Atlantic Canada, Quebec and Northwest Territories among others
- Listed as a certified program for tuition fee tax credits by Employment and Social Development Canada
- Increased number of support groups for patients offered through Cancer Chat Canada
Looking forward to 2018, we are working on collaborating with additional provinces and developing sample learning pathways in oncology and palliative care for any health care professional. Existing courses in our catalogue will be updated with the latest standards and evidence, as well as being made tablet compatible.
In this New Year we will continue to foster excellence in palliative and cancer care. Multiple manuscripts have been accepted for publication by peer reviewed journals including an article on the de Souza Model of education. Please join us in upholding the leadership, mentorship and education we stand for here at de Souza Institute.